Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Health Care Is Not A Right

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=4880
Most people who oppose socialized medicine do so on the grounds that it is moral and well-intentioned, but impractical; i.e., it is a noble idea -- which just somehow does not work. I do not agree that socialized medicine is moral and well-intentioned, but impractical. Of course, it is impractical -- it does not work -- but I hold that it is impractical because it is immoral. This is not a case of noble in theory but a failure in practice; it is a case of vicious in theory and therefore a disaster in practice. So I'm going to leave it to other speakers to concentrate on the practical flaws in the Clinton health plan. I want to focus on the moral issue at stake. So long as people believe that socialized medicine is a noble plan, there is no way to fight it. You cannot stop a noble plan -- not if it really is noble. The only way you can defeat it is to unmask it -- to show that it is the very opposite of noble. Then at least you have a fighting chance...
I have quite a bit to say about this, as I am strongly opposed to socialized health care. I'll post more about this in the days to come, but I thought this essay was a good introduction to the principles violated by "universal health care", and the perversion of "rights" being fed to us by those who advocate social programs for the "public good".

No comments: